Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The After!


Finally, finally, finally... the office is finished.  Well, mostly.  


There's a ton of touch up to be completed, but at least the majority of the work is done and the stuff has been loaded in there...


I am so excited to have finished a room.  It is so good for my mental process!  There are so many unfinished things that I feel over-the-moon about having one thing done.  


And just a reminder of the {BEFORE}...

 
We also had a great visit with some out of town friends, which meant I got to get the guest room back in order.  And this stack of boxes... means I put away the last of the boxes!!!  Speaking of house guests, we have been having an on-going bat problem... we thought we had effectively excluded them from the living space, leaving them to circle the attic, but of course as soon as we had visitors, they returned.  One in the dining room and FOUR in the basement!  We have responded in kind by filling the attic with moth balls, which they apparently dislike, and we are running one of those sonic thingers, but I think we'll have to bite the bullet and go with an exterminator.  It's going to be crazy expensive, but I can't share my house with them.  I just can't do it.  Not to mention the moth ball smell is not really so great... if anyone else has ever successfully excluded bats, feel free to share your secrets!


We all went to the flea market, despite the crazy heat and it was well worth it... I got this great planter...


And Tim found this fantastic otter, which he re-mounted so nicely...

 
And this little number is a permit... yes, a real live electrical permit because we are having new wiring run to the first floor and a new main panel.  It's a lot of work, and fortunately Tim's step dad is helping us with it.  




And last, but certainly not least, you may recall the cute little settee that Tim brought home from the thrift store... here it is fully refurbished and painted.  Tim gave it new bottom support, added some trim, and then painted all of the non-fabric parts.  I really love it.  Here's a before and after...


{BEFORE}


{AFTER}






And if you look really carefully, you may notice that the floor is not torn up beneath that seat, and that's because Tim is working on repairing it.  It is working out much better than either of us expected, and I'll give you some before and afters once its finished.



 

10 comments:

  1. are your books organized by color?! nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssss!!!! Thanks for noticing! It almost didn't happen because when I got to orange, a wasp settled in and refused to allow yellow to happen. And I was on a ladder, soooooo... I didn't feel like tussling with it. Tim came home and sprayed it dead, and the rainbow commenced. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah - found this thru Aaron - love following your progress, great house and love all that you are doing. I recognize that dresser in your office :) Tell Tim we bottled 10 cases of wine sometime want to get some to you guys! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following - we love the house, and the work has been for the most part pretty fun. Maybe we can bring you some items to take to Aaron, and we could sample some wine! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be more than happy to hand carry things to Aaron, just keep it small! Won't post the date we leave but if you email Aaron he can let you know when we are leaving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great! Yes, I was thinking stickers and such... we won't add too much to your carry-on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Aaron's cell phone now, I think you still have the number so give me a call and we can work something out as it gets closer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say how happy I am that you organized your books by Roy G. Biv instead of the alphabet? I <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you come and do my house next? I love your style lady, amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, ladies! From folks with such awesome personal style aesthetics, that means a lot. @Allison: I am somehow not surprised that you and Arron picked that out in the room!
    @Abby: I secretly want to run away to the design circus... maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete