Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sneak Peak...


And it goes on and on and on... I keep plugging away at the office room, and it just keeps taking more time.  Here's a sneak preview, but I must say, I'm feeling very frustrated with the extra steps that are becoming necessary...



Every time I paint, the stupid tape is no good.  It is strong enough to pull away the paint, but not really effective enough to mask the way it should.  I have no idea how to combat this problem.  So, here again, I have to add a step to the process and go back over every edge that I've finished with a small brush and go over the white paint that has seeped through and the spots that the tape pulled away.  I'd love to hear any wisdom on this problem.  I've tried every type of tape and it always seems to be the same result.


That being said, I am tantalizingly close to being done.  I am motivated to be finished so I can clear out the guest room in time for our guests to arrive this weekend.  That's great motivation.  Tim's step dad is doing some electrical work for us and has said that he will need to take the paneling off one of the office walls, but I won't even get into that now.  I'm just going to stay optimistic that it won't wreck things in there... I can't wait to organize my books in color order!  Plus, I got this little gem of an over-the-door rack to add to the charm.  This weekend, I will have the final "after" pictures!  

 
I also finally finished the curtain to cover the utility closet in the kitchen, so now our mops and brooms are effectively masked.  I love Ikea fabric.  


I imagine that it will be the kind of thing that I will change from time to time to add some new color/pattern to the kitchen.  I'm also contemplating making a rug from some fabric and a drop-cloth and non-slip backing.  I saw a tutorial for it, and I'm a little skeptical, but I don't think I'll ever find the rug I'm after at a good price.  Here's the link for the DIY tutorial:
 
http://high-heelfootinthedoor.blogspot.com/2010/04/diy-chevron-rug.html

I'm a huge fan of the chevron that is everywhere, just as shown in the tutorial, but I also can't wait to go scrounge around the PA Fabric Outlet.  They have amazing fabrics, including a pretty extensive selection of upholstery fabrics, which might be a good choice since it is likely to be durable.  That being said, I'm not ruling out the 99-cent rolls, because they always give up some gems.  But I digress... stay tuned for this weekend, when I will reveal Tim's settee make-over and the final office pictures.  And please, please, if you have any advice on the paint/tape issue, so share it in the comments...

2 comments:

  1. We never use tape when painting around trim, just a steady hand and patience. I think the only place we've used tape is on the hardwood that touches the trim, but walls? no.

    I'm really excited about the rug... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also never use tape when painting around trim. I picked up a nice brush from Lowes that is super soft with an angled brush. It also has a stumpy handle that fits nicely in your hand. It works like a dream.

    ReplyDelete