Saturday, June 26, 2010

Terror Firma


Today I tackled the yard... it has been mocking me for the past three weeks, and finally I decided that there was no point in waiting for a nice, cool day to do it.  Today was the day.  One of my favorite features of this house has been the yard.  It has really excellent and mature plantings, but it has been neglected for several seasons.  Apparently the yard is as great as I think, because many weeds have been competing with each other for real estate there. 


The biggest problem was the vines that were taking over the peony beds and the wrought iron fence.  As much as I hate weeds, I have to give vines their due.  They are incredibly clever and efficient, not to mention effective.  They follow existing plants, and then follow each other, so they can climb while hiding in something you actually want to keep.  Then, they become so engrossed in the plants that its hard to get rid of one without getting rid of both.  But, I managed to clear out the majority of the vines and weeds, and the yard looks so much better and more manicured.  I am pleased.  We celebrated with a grill feast for dinner. (Before/After)








Next project will be finishing up with spackling and sanding the office walls so I can get busy painting.  


For now, I am traveling for work a bunch, so I'll have to wait until I return.  Off to the flea market in the morning... I'll report back on any good finds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment